Google+ YA Romantics: Just Finished Reading ... Public Relations

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Just Finished Reading ... Public Relations

Public Relations
by Katie Heaney and Arianna Rebolini

To be published on May 9, 2017
by Grand Central

Source: eARC from publisher for review

Synopsis from Goodreads: Young PR star Rose Reed is thrown into the big leagues when her boss leaves town the day of the firm's meeting with Archie Fox, a young, hot, internationally famous British singer-songwriter. The meeting is going badly until Rose suggests a staged romance with up-and-coming, young indie star Raya. He'll do it, but only if Rose becomes his publicist. As the faux-mance begins to rehabilitate Archie's faltering career, Rose finds his herself having unexpected, inconvenient and definitely unprofessional feelings for the crooner. But do late night texts and impromptu burrito binges mean he feels the same? In the end, Rose will have to decide whether to let her fantasy crush go, or to risk her reputation to be with the charming, handsome, scoundrel-y but sweet pop star she's grown to love.
My take: The weird, confusing cover is doing this book NO favors at all -- no, this is not a gender-bending remake of the 80s movie Mannequin -- inside is actually chick lit. (I found it in the NetGalley New Adult section, where the cover stands out like a sore thumb amidst all the naked, tattooed abs.)

Rose is a twenty-something in Manhattan, trying to move up the ranks at her PR firm. Rose's boss can't make a meeting about how to boost the flagging career of British singer-songwriter Archie Fox, so Rose is told to sit in, take notes, and keep her mouth shut. But when a colleague's horrible proposals start to tank the meeting, Rose blurts out her own idea: a fauxmance between Archie and an up-and-coming indie singer.

Archie not only approves the idea, he asks Rose to act as his handler, despite the fact that her firm thinks she's too junior for the job. And -- of course -- as Rose is masterminding every romantic detail of Archie's new relationship, she's falling hard for him herself.

I've always had a weird fascination with celebrity fauxmances, but usually books about them have the pretending-to-be couple fall for each other, so I liked that this book gave things a new twist. I'm not usually the biggest fan of love-with-a-celebrity stories, but this one won me over ... until I received some new information, explained below.

As a former twenty-something who's lived the non-glamorous life in Manhattan - I thought the book really got all the small details right. Weirdly, my very favorite parts of the book were 1) learning how fauxmances work from behind the scenes and 2) all the PR stuff. I was fascinated by the way Rose tracked the success of the fauxmance on Twitter and Instagram.

The romance very, very, very slow-burn. If you read NA for the steamy goings-on, this probably won't be for you.

Then,  when I was writing up this review, SOMETHING HAPPENED: I read  Rebecca The Book Lover's Goodreads review that pointed out Archie's eerie similarity to Harry Styles. A famous person I know next to nothing about. Rebecca: "Someone who isn't a fan of One Direction may miss it." Me: AHHHHH!

So that's seriously weird and may cause me to reconsider my opinion on the romance.

Check this one out if you're a fauxmance fan or, I guess, a Harry Styles fan...

6 comments:

  1. I adore fauxmances! And slow burns! I hadn't heard of this one before but adding to my TBR! (I agree on the cover)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm down for slow, fauxmances. :) And Harry Styles. Let the hair-tugging begin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, is that a Harry reference? Ha ha ha he is not on my radar. At all.

      Delete
  3. "But definitely check this one out if you're a fauxmance fan or, I guess, a Harry Styles fan..."

    I love you and your reviews lol

    I saw this one and thought it sounded really cute but I had too many May arc's to read so I passed on it for now.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds fun, and I grew up and had worked in the city, so I always love when it is featured in a book. Great review.
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by today. I hope you'll leave me a comment. I read and appreciate each and every one and try my best to reply. Leave me a link to your blog or website!

 
Blog design by Imagination Designs